I call it ThanksTAKING because we are basically celebrating the theft of this country and the slaughter of the Native Americans but anyway. I am thankful for a few things this year:
1. I don’t work graveyard shift anymore. Working graveyard at any job is hazardous to your health but I have worked in crack hotels and group homes which are not the safest place to be at night. I have gotten beat up and attacked by roaches. So when I start to gripe to myself about my job I have to remember that I have it lot better than I did last year!
2. As horny and lonely that I get I am so fucking happy that I am not in an unhappy relationship right now. I honestly would rather be alone the rest of my life than be with someone that I hate. I see it all around me too, people fucking miserable with the one they’ve chosen.
3. My son of course! He is the person I spend the most time with and I feel like his birth was a ‘meant to be’ in my life because I don’t know where I’d be today.
4. Just being real but I am so glad I never starting taking drugs. Gosh, I see motherfuckers everyday that would sell their kids for a hit of rock. I am drinking Brandy right now but for some reason I am unable to catch a good buzz.
5. I am thankful for my life and my mind and my ability to reason, forgive, and always be searching. (I meant to write ‘be searching’).
I know seven is an odd number but thinking of my favorite male singers this is what came to my head. Notice there is no Ushers, Trae Songs, or any shit like that because in my humble opinion they are just plastic pop garbage. I can listen to a lot of music but to touch me you have to have something special, so here is my list.
7. I learned my first James Taylor song is kindergarten. He is number 10 on my list because his music always makes me feel something. His voice is mournful and sultry and could make even crap songs poetry if he wanted.
6. Michael MacDonald is another dude that can sing any song and put soul into it. Listening to him reminds of my 80’s upbringing; also reminds me that there are very few artists that actually have soul these days. Michael Macdonald is the quintessential soul singer for any decade.
5. Prince is a weirdo for sure but also one of the most talented artists alive. It’s a shame that he does not want to share his music on the internet because a lot of younger kids don’t know about him. I remember Prince when he was not saved and used to ride on horses naked and shit. This song is his early 2000’s work but still a great representation of his work.
4. Luther Vandross will never be replaced even though so many people imitate his style. On top of being a very talented singer he was also very classy. You never heard about him peeing on someone or getting busted for coke. His death has left a big hole in the music industry.
3. Speaking of peeing on people R. Kelly begrudgingly makes my list because say what you want, this brother can put together his song. I hate to like him because he is a pedo but despite his grossness he had managed to put out good music 15+ years.
2. Stevie Wonder, what more is there to say? This brother has been making music since he was like 11 and still has it. There are not very many artists this lifetime that have had his talent. I remember listening to him growing up he was one of my mom’s favorite.
1. John Mayer hates me but his punk ass still tops my list. I ponder how such a douchebag can make some the most heartfelt and awesome music. I been a fan of his since 2002 and wish that he would stop saying and doing stupid shit and just make music. I think everyone knows about his infamous Playboy interview about 2 years ago when he basically stated that his dick was racist and he did not fond black women attractive. Really! What is really crazy is that black women make up a large part of his fan base; he was a refreshing break from all the ‘I wanna fuck you’ music that is geared toward black women but he kind of hurt us deep and some people I know still don’t fuck with him. I was in Rasputin’s music store the other day and I saw a black chick buying his album so maybe people have forgiven him?